Wednesday, February 24, 2010

things happen for a reason, wether we like it or not

Something I have truly been debating to share... but feel like I should...

Monday at school I have about two hours in between classes, so I usually hang around campus and work on homework, etc. I was sitting in the cafeteria and was watching what seemed to be a handicap guy walking around the cafeteria talking to girls, and just being very social. I thought it was cute, and how nice people can be to someone with special needs. Anyways a guy was sitting on a table next to me, and the cute handicapped guy came and sat by him. He then leaned over to me and shook my hand and introduced himself as Brandon, and I introduced myself. Brandon then asked me what I do for fun, and I told him I love playing with my little girl and hanging out with my husband ;-) He said, oh so you are married, and he said well he is a lucky guy.... it felt like a great compliment! 
We talked for a bit and then the guy he was sitting by said something to the effect that he survived a rare disease... Brandon then responded he survived a brain tumor. I asked him what kind of brain tumor? He told me a brain stem glioma, and it was grade 9 1/2 (the highest is 10). I told him that my brother passed away from that type of cancer, he then responded telling me he is the first survivor of that rare cancer. He was diagnosed when he was seven years old, and he told me his story how the doctors told his parents to go choose a casket out and that he would not survive. He suffered a lot, and then he woke up and had to relearn to walk and talk (which doctors also said was most likely not going to happen) and has been cancer free for 19 years. I was telling him how lucky he is to still be here and how awesome how strong and determined he is... he lives on his own, does his own laundry, going to school (physics), etc. It was amazing hearing how strong he is, but he said it is hard because he wants to find the right girl, and no one will really give him a chance. It broke my heart... he is all mentally there, but his physical body struggles. 
He told me he got a blessing and the next day was when he woke up... which honestly really hurt me inside. My brother got many blessings... but to me it felt like every time we tried to help him or hope things would get better they got worse. Brandon then said something to me, that really got me thinking and touched me. He told me to not take this offensively but I should be grateful that my brother passed away. With all the hardships he has to suffer through his life, he said I should be grateful that he was able to pass on. At the time I thought he was crazy for saying that to me, but honestly it was more like closure to me. Speaking to someone like this who knows some what the suffering my brother went through, and to speak to someone first hand who has experienced cancer that my brother had really got to me and really has made me think and ponder that last couple days. 
The IS closure to me, this is my sign that I should be grateful for what I do have in front of me, even though some days I am angry at life and heavenly father for taking away my brother, a husband, a father, a son, a friend to so many.... things happen for a reason. I know that this has helped me so much, even though I will always miss and think about my brother... I know he was meant to live on this earth for a short time, he was needed elsewhere. 
It also is a reminder to not take life for granted and be so grateful for what you have, especially family!

7 comments:

Jamie said...

Wow. What an amazing story. Thank you for posting this! Who knows...maybe Nate had a hand in getting you and this guy to meet. Closure and understanding can be a big relief.

Unknown said...

Hi Chelsea - you may not remember me, we went to high school together and I found your blog through Nate + Mandi's.

That story was so moving. I'm so sorry you and your family had to suffer the loss of your brother. I find it so amazing how you and Brandon came across each other - I'm not a really a religious person, and I'm sure many people have different interpretations of events like this - but it really seems like some energy in the universe pulls together to bring people who can help each other together.

Jewels said...

Wow, that gave me chills! I definitely felt the spirit! Thanks for sharing!

Robbie and Shay said...

chels. i love you. we are so thankful for you in our family. and because we love you, we love nate. your an amazing wife and mom. nate is so proud of you and the person you are. thanks for sharing.

Amee said...

Ok you did it. You just made me cry! I relly loved your story and i am so glad that you shared it with everyone. I really touched me heart. Thanks!

Georgi Family said...

Thank you for sharing that chels! What an amazing story.. I am sure Heavenly Father was just working through brandon to heal you to heal. I am in your sister-in-laws ward. She is such a great, strong woman! Things might not seem fair for the moment (trust me I too have had those same thoughts at times) but know that the plan that was set before us is a perfect plan, aimed at help all of his children return to his presence. Your brothers tragic death was no suprise to heavenly father. It was part of his perfect, eternal plan. I am sorry for what you had to endure. I can't imagine loosing a brother. I love you to pieces!

Nik said...

I ditto what everyone else has said. We love you and this story made me cry AND gave me chills. Things like this are not per chance. Maybe Nate wanted to send you a little gift- it is through each other that Heavenly Father blesses our lives. How neat that Brandon, is a blessing even in his struggles! We DO love you and are blessed because of you AND because of Nate. I never met him but I do know him- because of you!